|July 13, 2013
ASP center where they will be staying
In the Central Appalachian region...
- Poverty is more than double the national average
- One in four lives below the poverty level-105,000 children, 195,000 adults, and 35,000 elderly
- 62,500 homes are substandard
- 19,000 homes lack adequate kitchens
- 21,000 homes lack complete plumbing
- Nearly half of the families have annual household incomes below $20,000
The result is that jobs are few and far between. For many of these families, their modest houses-handed down from generation to generation-are the only real possession they have. But houses need maintenance. And when you don't even have money to put shoes on your kids' feet, fixing a hole in the roof is a low priority.
As a result, the homes are crumbling. Walls buckle. Roofs leak. And sagging floors pose hazards to the elderly and the very young.
What You'll Do at ASP:
- Make one family's home warmer, safer, and drier
- Repair roofs, install insulation, fix floors, shore up foundations, build handicapped ramps, and perform a host of other improvements and repairs
- Worship, bond, and pull together as a group
- Lift an Appalachian family's spirits and remind them that God's love knows no boundaries
What ASP Will Do for You:
- Develop a heart for Christian service
- Discover what you're really made of
- Help you make a dent in poverty right here in America
- Give you new appreciation for what you have
- Draw your group of church closer together
- Come home more on fire for your faith and more involved in your church or community